Doll Shopping

Tips on shopping for toy dolls

Dolls have traditionally been considered the favorite toy for girls. The girls would model their behavior after the way they saw their parents care for them and their siblings. These days, dolls have become more specialized, with brand names becoming more important to the girls that play with them. The dolls are put in the position of play actors, to re-enact scenes from movies or television shows and to model the latest fashions.

Traditional Baby Dolls

Little girls often refer to their baby dolls simply as their babies. They use them as their chance to nurture and care for something. They often come with toy doll clothes, or these clothes can be bought separately. This allows the children to dress up the dolls to play different roles. It can also further the nurturing, by allowing them to dress the doll in pyjamas for bed, and change them into clothes in the morning. Some of the baby dolls today also come with diapers that let the child experience the fun that their parents have in changing them.

Plush toy dolls can help children take a step away from the gender-neutral teddy bear, and have a specific boy or girl doll. This can be a good step for little boys as well, as they may show an interest in playing with dolls, but want to have a boy doll to play with. These plush dolls are soft and safe enough for toddlers to play with, and may allow children the chance to see the basic identity differences between boys and girls.

Fashion Dolls

Barbie dolls have been around since the late 1950s. Originally, they were dolls that children liked to dress up in their fashionable clothes. Since then, Barbie has been presented with several career options that could inspire children to do the same. The Barbie collection has also been enhanced by adding a line of friends and relatives for Barbie to play with. Barbie accessories include cars, campers, and pools.

In 2001, Bratz dolls were launched. In 2006, these dolls had captured about 40 percent of the fashion doll market, with Barbie dolls holding the other 60 percent. They differed from Barbie in their look – they were teenagers with big heads and skinny bodies. They also wore bright face makeup. The Bratz dolls franchise grew into other dolls, movies, music and DVD games.